Far from the beaten path, following ancient cattle pathways, the great grass roads, through magnificent countryside, in search of towns, historical sites and the excellent culinary products of this little unknown land.
Take this opportunity to walk the tratturi, the ancient transhumance route; you will be seduced by nature, visit archeological sites from the time before the romans, meet friendly and curious people and enjoy the typical food and wine.
The rural life:
The area haskept its genuine character and is characterized by attractive medieval towns, cultivated fields and sweet, rolling hills.
The historical towns:
Picturesque and welcoming. In the beautiful medieval towns of Ripabottoni, Casacalenda and Larino there is a lot to explore, palaces, fountains and churches full of frescoes.
The archeological evidence:
Along the way there are many archeological ruins from the Samnites and the ancient Rome; like the Roman villa of Gerione and the ancient town of Larinum.
The delicious food and the excellent wine:
During the trip you will have the opportunity to try the traditional food and the regional wine of Molise, for example the local cheeses caciocavallo, the pecorino (sheep cheese) and burrata, together with salumi like soppressata, ventricina and the capocollo. The forests are full with white and black truffles that goes well with the excellent wine made from the regional grape Tintilia (red) and Falanghina (white).
Workshops and meetings with local crafts:
You will also have the opportunity to participate in workshops and cooking classes.
- Arrival in Ripabottoni and check-in.
- Welcome and tour briefing followed by dinner in the local Trattoria.
Ripabottoni (called Ripa by the locals) is a lovely medieval town dating
back to 1200’s century. The beautiful church of the Assunta is full of
frescoes and paintings on canvas by Paolo Gamba, born in the village
1712. He was among the greatest painters of the 1700’s in Molise.
- Walk from Ripabottoni to Casacalenda and the Roman villa of Gerione
- Pic-nic lunch
- Transfer back to Ripabottoni
- Cooking class and dinner in the town
From Ripabottoni we walk over the hill of Guardiola towards Provvidenti, the smallest town in Molise with less than 100 inhabitants. On clear days we can admire the Adriatic Sea and the surrounding landscape. Our walk continue to the beautiful town of Casacalenda with its historical center and down to the “Cigno valley”. Our final destination is Gerione and the Roman villa, it is believed that Hannibal paused here around 217 BC during the war with the Roman army. Transfer back to Ripabottoni, cooking class and dinner in the town.
- Breakfast in the B&B
- Jeep tour on the Tratturo (old sheep road) towards Larino
- Lunch in Larino historical center
- Guided tour of the historical center
- Check-in at Essentia Dimora Rurale
- Workshop (theme depending on the season) followed by dinner.
After breakfast we enter our Jeep to go on an adventurous safari on the tratturo (the transhumance route). Along the route we will have the opportunity to explore the beautiful landscape, the rivers and some caves. Our destination is Larino, one of the Molisan towns with the longest and richest history. Originally settled by the Samnites and Frentani tribes, the city came under the control of the Oscan civilization. In 217 BC the Romans defeated Hannibal here and it was later incorporated into the Roman Empire. After lunch we will be guided in the historical center of Larino and in the Roman amphitheater. Transfer and check-in at Essentia Dimora Rurale followed by workshop and dinner.
- Breakfast in Essentia Dimora Rurale
- Hiking on the royal tratturo Centurelle-Montesecco
- Transfer back to Essentia Dimora Rurale followed by dinner
The royal Tratturo Centurelle-Montesecco is one of fourteen testimonials of the long history of the Transhumance in Italy. Tratturi were the economical back-bone of the region and are the grassy mountain paths that shepherds traditionally used twice a year to move their herds from the mountains to the plains and back, an ancient tradition performed as far back as the pre-Roman era.
- Breakfast and check-out
- Transfer from Essentia Dimora Rurale to Ripabottoni (if necessary)
02.04 – 06.04.2020 (Thursday to Monday)
12.09 – 16.09.2020 (Saturday to Wednesday)
24.10 – 28.10.2020 (Saturday to Wednesday)
31.10 – 04.11.2020 (Saturday to Wednesday)
Available on request in other periods
From 515 euro per person based on a group of min 8 persons.
For groups of 4 or 6 persons there is an estimated increase on the price of 15%.
- Welcoming and briefing, all breakfasts, lunches, dinners and workshops mentioned in the program.
- Four night accommodation in shared double room
- Professional guides
- Basic insurance policy
- Transport of luggage and transfers as mentioned in the program.
- Entrance to historical sites and museums
SERVICE NOT INCLUDED
- Transfers to and from Ripabbottoni
- Extras and everything that is not described in “service included”
- Possible tourist taxes to be settled in the facility
At the time of booking, please indicate any allergies or intolerances, so that we can prepare a menu to suit your needs.
The programme may change according to technical and meteorological requirements.